Wednesday, December 8, 2010

THE BITERION COLLECTION: Eclipse

The other day, in preparation for watching Eclipse, I re-watched New Moon and Twilight. I don't have that many original observations (though I'm sure sooner or later I'll dress them down on tumblr), but I just want to say that I think I came down too hard on Twilight the first time around. It's kind of... brilliant? I mean, the bizarre editing I originally hated comes off as nervy and interesting now – vampire baseball is still over the top, but take a look at the scene where Bella gets Edward to confess he is a vampire. It looks like it was cut together by Jean-Luc Goddard or something, I'm not even kidding. The overwhelming blue-and-greeness (even the Arizona scenes are blue and green, which seems like a mistake!) of the first movie makes New Moon (and Eclipse, to a lesser extent) look drab and staid by comparison. Twilight also has a self-effacing self-awareness that New Moon weirdly lacks; New Moon tries to behave like a normal, serious movie. And obviously, these are not normal, serious movies.

Eclipse marries the slick production values of New Moon with the jittery self-awareness of Twilight. That sounds like the best of both worlds, and maybe it is? It's hard to say that Eclipse is the best Twilight film, even though it probably is, because none of the Twilight films are very good. My opinion of Eclipse is mostly neutral; I neither liked nor disliked it. I can only fairly say that “I watched it.” I did watch it. It was a movie.

Much like New Moon, Melissa Rosenberg has condensed and edited the plot action such that the film makes more sense than the books ever did. Rather than play up the mystery of the murders in Seattle, we get a parallel story more or less starring Xavier Samuel as Riley Biers; it ends up being structured a lot like Twilight. Here's Edward and Bella in a field, arguing about shit, here's a quickly edited scene of some bad shit happening elsewhere. It fits together better than the two threads in Twilight, because it isn't wholly a screenwriting contrivance. It's mostly a screenwriting contrivance, though.

Still, kudos to Rosenberg, her job is not dissimilar to what we do on this blog. Toward the end of the film, there's a scene where Bella comes home to find Charlie walking Alice to the door. Alice informs Bella that she's given her an alibi for the weekend; the two of them are having a sleepover. You'll remember that in the book that alibi is established through what I called “a complicated-ass Rube Goldberg of a scene” where Alice keeps talking about her family abandoning her and stomping on Bella's foot, trying to force Charlie to come up with the idea on his own. Why? By cutting, Rosenberg saves the film from falling into the same logic holes the book does.

She also cuts out S. Meyer's most objectionable shit: Quil imprinting on a two-year-old is gone, and since we can't see see Bella's thoughts and Jacob doesn't take time to explain himself, we can't see what creeps both of them really are. It hurts the story in that you can't see how batshit Twilight really is, but it helps the story in that Bella's “choice” really feels like a “choice.” (That choice motif is driven hard, though. Take a drink every time someone says “choice.” Just kidding, you'll die.)

Never Forget.

Moment for moment, this movie has some great set pieces. Our first re-introduction to Jacob is camp-tastic, if that is a word. The graduation scene/montage is great. Training for the battle with the Cullens is a good time. The fight with the newborns is visually compelling and all too brief. Victoria's head getting busted off is totally satisfying. You are so dead, Victoria!

(Spoiler Alert)

There are still plenty of problems: multiple scenes of dialogue go on for uncomfortable lengths, kind of like Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof but quite not as bad and with more awkward pausing. Sections of the film drag miserably. A lot of depth and shading is regrettably cut: Edward doesn't crush an iron flower to symbolize the way he'd demolish Bella's vagina, for one thing. Cinematically, we needed that moment.

Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner have only gotten better at somehow straddling the gap between seeming engaged in the material on the screen and being somehow above it. Kristen Stewart barely registers, but is really pretty.

Just try not to look directly at her hairline. Billy Burke remains a fucking gift from the gods. This guy, am I right?
Ashley Greene and Jackson Rathbone actually DO have a lot of sexual chemistry, the Atlantic was right. There is not enough of either of them in here, I don't care if 85% of that opinion is my personal bias. I was also upset to see that Alice doesn't wear red leather pants and a sequined top to the graduation party, but holding out for that one was a long shot.

I'd give the same sexual chemistry compliment to Bryce Dallas Howard and Xavier Samuel, or maybe BDH just brings that to the table on her own. I mean, clearly Victoria is hot: all Edward has to do is chuck a lighter at her and she bursts into flames! Why didn't you do that in the first place, dude?
Hahahaha. And then there is Peter Facinelli. YIKES. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED, Dr. Cullen? He is suddenly British, or else from Marblehead, Massachusetts. What on earth is that about? It is true that Jasper also suddenly develops a Southern drawl, yes. But Jackson Rathbone manages to play it off like an affectation: Jasper gets all Confederatey when he's giving a lecture or flirting with Alice (if you know Southern expatriates, you know the drawl really does come and go). There is no way to rationalize Carlisle's sudden new (horrible, by the way) accent. Unless it's a “there can only be one highlander” kind of thing and now that Robert Pattinson's accent isn't bad, someone else has to fall off the map. But anyway: yikes.

"Someone's OAHKESTRAYTEENG this."-Dr. Cullen

But that I can say Peter Facinelli is the WORST FUCKING PART of this movie says a lot about the rest of the movie. The rest of it is not bad! Not good, but not bad either! Even Dr. Cullen gets one shining moment, when he finally shuts his retarded-sounding mouth and starts kicking some ass.

Booyah! So, if you haven't already: Mary HK Choi's and Natasha Vargas-Cooper's review of Eclipse is a MUST READ. Here is what they have to say about that final fight:

Mary: What was up with everyone "shattering" like they were freeze-dried fruit? Is that the baseline now? I feel like we should've gotten a warning on that.
Natasha: Like the Terminator 2 style nitrogen shit?
Mary: YES.
Natasha: I didn't know that all you had to do to kill a vampire was like… aim??

So good. Anyway, what did you all think of this movie? I have more nitpicky things to say, I think, but I will save them for the comments.

13 comments:

rosanne said...

I have to say I enjoyed this movie a lot. It is EASILY the best of the three so far, but as you pointed out, that isn't saying much. Did you watch the Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart commentary? It was so good and just made me adore them even more.

I liked the sound effects when the vampires were killed and that when their bodies were broken into, it was like the marble turned into shale. I didn't mind BDH, but Rachelle Lefevre was just hotter and more believable to me. She looked like a tough bitch. Bryce looks too sweet.

rosanne said...

And,yeah, I noticed that about Peter Facinelli's accent, too. It was as if all of a sudden the director wanted to acknowledge Carlisle's backstory. "You've been in the country for at least 100 years, so your accent should have faded a little, but don't forget you're English."

ZL said...

But isn't the whole deal with Victoria that she's kind of unexpectedly sweet-seeming?

I meant to count Rachel Lefervre's lines from New Moon & Twilight, because I would guess she had about two, tops. I don't remember her EVER speaking, and I watched those movies like two days ago.

I remember after finishing Eclipse, thinking it was strange to recast Victoria at this point where basically her only job left was to show up and die, but they have crafted this whole second plot for BDH. How much of that is out of spite, do you think?

And yeah, the shattering was COOL, but it just seemed so EASY. And like, it didn't seem like most of the vampires understood HOW to fight, even after training?

Alice was like, "hey, I'm going to jump over this wolf! Now I'm going to do some kung-fu evasion shit!" and it's like, JUST KICK HIM IN THE FACE!

rosanne said...

Well, they had to be dead before they could shatter, right? Or did shattering kill them? Whether it was easy or not, the New Moon fight scenes in Italy totally set it up to be a believable way for them to die.

And no. I don't agree that the Victoria thing is that she's sweet-seeming. She basically turned Riley so that she could use him to get back at Edward for killing James. She's a lying, manipulative bitch of a vampire. I don't know why I feel so strongly about this, I just do. I feel like when Victoria was alive she was probably a lot like Kim Kelly on Freaks and Geeks.

I don't think the BDH plot was payback, I think it was needed in order for the fight to take place. Like you said, Melissa Rosenberg had to rearrange everything to make the movie story cleaner than the book story.

Fight choreography in general always bugs me. I'm not a fan of watching fights or martial arts at all, so inevitably I just get bored and tune out. I get that it is an art form or something, but not my bag. It also seems like people are just showing off. You're right--just punch him and get it over with.

ZL said...

Jasper had the right idea. Run, run, punch. Jump, jump, clothesline someone's head off. Done.

ZL said...

I mean she was the kind of bitch who seemed sweet. But whatever, I actually don't care enough about BDH to defend her.

What about other people? Who was good, who was bad?

Kira said...

Didn't enjoy BDH, missed Rachelle.

Was proud of the kid who played Riley. He did a pretty good job, and also had a nice looking face. Good job, Guy!

The kid who played Seth was the worst. That scene hey shoehorned in where Jacob introduces Seth to Bella at the Indian campfire? Excruciating. Worst.

Because the movies are so silly, I mostly judge their quality by hair and make up and the wigs, costumes and makeup have just gotten better and better.

Jasper is still not very good, and him and Carlisle's wigs remain atrocious.

I found their insistence on keeping everything some blue and grey when it came to the Cullens really awkwardly done. It was just too obvious. Really? They ONLY wear navy-blue and paint their walls charcoal?

The Volturi story line remains a tough one to stuff into a story that really doesn't require their presence at all.

(Proofreading stuff is a bummer on iPaddy, so just do your best to interpret what I'm trying to convey, pls.)

ZL said...

I felt the same avuncular pride in Riley. I think he and Dakota Fanning set the villain tone so well in Michael Sheen's absence.

That part where Riley is all "WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT KEEPING A LOW PROFILE?" was totally awesome. Good villaining, dude!

(Xavier Samuel did a few press events with Ash Greene and the general sentiment everywhere I looked was "there two should fuck immediately and have babies." Although they kind of look like they could be related.)

I want to defend Jackson Rathbone. I liked him! I think he's trying to be on the same meta-level as Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner and he just can't quite hack it. That's a tough needle to thread! He tried!

lengli said...

I am finally commenting, I'm so excited! The truth is that I was going to read Eclipse along with y'all but my friend has had my copy for six months (even though she's only had 15 pages left to read since July but WHATEVS). I'm totally on board for Breaking Dawn, though.

Anywho, as for the film, I recognize that I am in the minority on this blog, but I simply cannot stand Kristen Stewart. Long story short, refer to this. I did a fair bit of theatre in school ("I studied theatre." -lengli) and the very first thing my favorite director did was to make us all aware of our particular tics and train them out of us. The fact that Kiki Stewz is making such a living for herself yet is immediately identified by her breathiness, her eye flutter, her hair touching, etc. blows my mind. Because of this, I feel she never sheds her skin or fully takes on another personality--I'm always watching Kristen Stewart.

(That said, I've noticed that she does do much better playing opposite actors who are not Robert Pattinson. I am not sure if it's because they feed off of each other's nervous energy or that she thinks that love inspires an overwhelming tension/awkwardness or something, but manohman.)

However, I give a round of kudos to David Slade and/or his tremendous editor. This was the first Twilight movie where I wasn't nearly as distracted by her weird tells--they reined her in significantly. Almost for this reason alone, I far and away preferred this movie to the two others.

Of course, I could go into the idea that Meyer created a Bella Swan so nondescript that she is really only created in the mind of the reader, but that would mean my personal interpretation is entirely moot...and we just can't have that.

Kira said...

Zac: It's possible that the hilarz Jasper wig is undermining JR's credibility. That wig is a serious handicap to being taken seriously.

Lengli: OMGZOMGZOMGZZZZZZZ Stoked you're here!

I can understand where you're coming from w/K. Stew. So far she seems good at playing girls w/remarkably similar affectations to her own. I have already decided that I like her, so I'll probably always be fine with That Character that she plays, but it'd be nice to see her play a confident, bubbly type of character, to she that she is capable of playing characters that aren't awkward and lip-biting.

lengli said...

Yes, exactly. I get that she's young and going through one of the many existential crises that life is going to throw at her, but I just want to make her an "It Gets Better" video.

Full disclosure: I was an awkward teen who was just as uncomfortable talking to strangers as she seems to be, so I suppose that just the teeeeeensiest bit of my issue with her is that she reminds me of this. (You'd think that being a shy kid would have made me more empathetic to her plight, but it's just the opposite!) I would really love to see her play that confident character you describe, but (and here I go shrinking Kristen Stewart, as one does) I don't think that will happen until she herself is actually that confident.

P.S. I'm so stoked to be here too! YAYYYYY!

ZL said...

So okay, Lengli, I can't really counter your argument specifically. But your comments did prompt me to write a broad defense of Kristen Stewart on the Videogum Monster's Blog, which is here:

http://mobfd.blogspot.com/2010/12/in-defense-of-kristen-stewart.html

So am I the only person who was bored by the long Bella/Edward and Bella/Jacob scenes? I mean, they took out all of the perverse shit anyway, so it was like, what are we doing here?

In the first scene, Edward is like "hey, let's compromise on this wedding/vampire thing." And there, in ONE SENTENCE, like six chapters of drama was just OVER. But then they keep talking for five minutes!

Kim said...

They didn't really craft the second plot just for BDH. They sort of combined Eclipse with The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner to fill out the movie a little. Thank god they did, too. Otherwise that fight would have come out of nowhere even more than it did. Any excuse for Xavier Samuel to be on screen is fine by me. He could just stand there looking smoldering for 2 hours and I would watch that.

I am also disappointed that they took out all the really nutty offensive stuff. That is half of why I like this series. You can't make this not creepy! It's creepy! Leave it be and let me enjoy the crazy. I'm worried they'll try to do that with Breaking Dawn and then it won't be nearly as ridiculously awesome as the book. It needs the crazy.

I wasn't a fan of Kristen Stewart for the longest time until I saw her on Oprah. She was so adorably awkward and obviously uncomfortable. I can sympathize. I would be the same way in that situation. Yeah, she does play the same character a lot, but who cares? She's not the first actor to do that and she plays those characters well. Movies will probably always need someone twitchy and awkward and mumbly and lip-bitey. Plus, at least she's not the same character in the same movie every time.