Sunday, February 27, 2011

Razzie Awards Decline To Strike Dead Horse

The Razzie Award winners were announced today, and Eclipse did not win any, save for a Shitty Actor award or whatever for Jackson Rathbone which was technically split between that film and The Last Airbender. I pretty much called this play, as nominating Eclipse for nearly every category was a lukewarm joke in the first place and to actually award them much of anything would be even more redundant. Obviously I'm not saying Eclipse is a good movie; it isn't. It's also not a bad movie. I didn't expect much from it, and there wasn't much to it. That doesn't speak well of anyone involved in the production, but awarding it with whatever the opposite of a superlative is (evillative?) is still a stretch.
 I will never defend Twilight to anyone, but I will continue to maintain that most of the people attacking Twilight are doing so in a lame way. They come at it from a stupidly masculine, heteronormative or even just too generally normative angle: it's a romance, vampires don't sparkle, it seems gay, and so on. Twilight has the same kind of reductive attitude about masculinity and sexuality that its detractors do, so nobody is getting anywhere.

And that's where the Razzie nomination seemed to come from, even though they also nominated Vampires Suck, which had essentially the same thesis. What we've got here, when we survey the landscape, is a whole lot of snakes eating their own tails.

I read about this over at Twilight Lexicon (thanks for the tip, Kira!), and I have to give the author credit for inadvertently giving me a new angle on my favorite punching bag Jackson Rathbone (even if I can't give him credit for punctuation):

In any case, knowing Jackson’s sense of humor and creativity, how long can it be until there is a 100 Monkeys song making fun of the Razzies.

I thought back to a tweet I saw some time ago: 100 Monkeys announcing that they would be playing at a fair and filming a video for their song... "The Fair." Suddenly in my mind Jackson Rathbone is Andy Dwyer from Parks & Recreation. And just like that, I like him a lot more than I did.

"The band has had a few different names over the years. When we started we were Teddy Bear Suicide. But then we changed it to 100 Monkeys. Then we were God Hates Figs; Department of Homeland Obscurity; Flames for Flames; Muscle Confusion; Nothing Rhymes With Orange; then Everything Rhymes With Orange; Punch Face Champions; Rad Wagon; Puppy Pendulum; Possum Pendulum; Penis Pendulum; Handrail Suicide; Angel Snack; Just the Tip; Threeskin; Jet Black Pope; we went back to 100 Monkeys and now we are Scarecrow Boat. God when I hear myself say "Scarecrow Boat" out loud I kind of hate it." -Jackson Rathbone

2 comments:

Drishti said...

OHMYGOD, YES!
I've finally finished! I've been reading this for days, hoping that I could catch up before you finished, AND I DID.
Okay, random spazzing over. =)

ZL said...

Wow, so I am guessing because you posted here that you read like, all 400 something posts?