Sunday, March 27, 2011

What We Agree About When We Talk About Twilight: No Homo

I've used Natalie Wilson's Twilight blog as a bit of a punching bag in the past, utilizing it to articulate some of my issues with academia. And Wilson is not really to blame for those. Not that I regret being occasionally harsh—one invites that when they use parenthetical asides like “as I argue in my forthcoming book.” But the more I read “Seduced By Twilight,” the more I am, uh, persuaded by it.

Part of the reason is that I think the world of Twilight fandom—if you would go so far as to lump this blog in with “fandom,” which maybe I would not do—is really divided into two camps: those who like it, and those who like it with a lot of reservations. The latter camp has a kind of grudging admiration for Twilight as an international sensation, the former camp is the reason it is one. People travel from group A into group B, but not the other way around unless they suffer a head injury. I'd like to think this blog has won the latter group a few converts from the former group, even. But ANYWAY what I'm saying is: Natalie Wilson gets it. Natalie Wilson has a lot of reservations about Twilight, and they are the right ones. I understand that some of MY objections are weirdly specific ones, and that I have carried my own, mostly invented narratives throughout these texts. But I'm not imagining most of this. By reading Wilson's blog I can get out of my own head a little, and clarify some basic stuff; I can see where we connect on the Venn diagram of outrage. And on that Venn diagram, the middle section is really big. That feels pretty good. We're not crazy.

Let's start, today, with the gay stuff. That's what he said.



In several posts Wilson calls out Meyer for both the lack of gay characters in Twilight and her subsequent personal silence on the issue of gay rights. Now, having one and not the other can be problematic too, right? I was kind of bothered by JK Rowling's post-Potter revelation that Dumbledore was gay. In the books, he wasn't really. So coming out (sorry) with that information later seemed kind of disingenuous. Really, Harry Potter doesn't get any more progressive points on the gay rights front than does Twilight.

But Wilson points out that S. Meyer gives heavily to the LDS Church, and the LDS Church gave heavily to the Prop 8 campaign in California. That is not a long enough chain of giving to detach S. Meyer from where the buck stopped. Through more or less a single intermediary, S. Meyer has contributed to halt the progression of gay rights. The same cannot be said of JK Rowling (however it should be noted that for all of her well-known and lauded charitable giving, I cannot find any records of Rowling making a contribution to a gay rights group. And yet, Sarcastic Meow rather rightly points out that gay rights are not considered a civil rights issue in the UK, really. That is our problem, and JK Rowling shouldn't be held as accountable for our problems as S. Meyer is. Still, if anyone has any information regarding Rowling and donations toward gay rights groups, I'd like to know. Quite a bit of searching has so far turned up nothing).

Wilson quotes a section in Meyer's infamous FAQ in which she explains what would happen if a gay person became a vampire.

Later, in the same post, the authors pose the following question: “This is not meant to be offensive in ANY way, shape or form, but do gay vampires exist? What if someone changed a human, intending them to be their permanent companion or something and it turned out they were… er… well, gay?”

This question is of course problematic in its presumption that even mentioning the dreaded word “gay” might be offensive, let alone *gasp!!!!* the notion that one of the sparkly Meyer vamps might desire a gay companion – oh the horror!

Anyhow, Meyer answers as follows: “If someone was to bite a gay person, that person would still be who they were before, so they would still be gay.” Well, at least she didn’t say that as the turn to vampire makes one more perfect it would entail a turn towards heterosexuality!

Indeed. Wilson goes on to point out that if S. Meyer publicly clarified her position on gay rights and it was anything other than “they don't exist,” she could be excommunicated from her church. But Wilson suggests (and I agree) that fear of one's church is not a good enough reason to Do The Right Thing. (And since S. Meyer gives the church a lot of money, common sense suggests they wouldn't be particularly quick to show her the door.)

In the comments of that article (scroll to the bottom), someone named Alyce articulates a rather interesting reading of the text as the Cullen family as heteronormative “in a world with queer surroundings.”

The heterosexual pairings of the Cullen family greatly contrast those relationships seen in the rest of the vampire, or queer, world. The other vampires travel in groups of odd numbers, much like Victoria, Laurent, and James. Together these three roam about Washington, feasting together without regard to remaining under the radar. It is almost as if they are participating in some of feeding orgy [sic] that catches mass attention and worry in the community. Also, the Volturi in Italy have multiple wives, which is quite out of the ordinary for the ideal heterosexual family. And Maria and her two female counterparts who turned Jasper are another group who are outliers to the heterosexual ideology.

Edward and Bella being able to actually reproduce, as they unfortunately have, further underscores their hetero-ness (heterocity?). The Cullens have, Alyce says, the “heterosexual American dream,” which is obviously my new band name.

In another post, Wilson articulates the issue a little better and more briefly, and even implicates all of us along with S. Meyer. “Amongst other types of diversity depicted in the series – race, class, age, (dis)ability – there is not one single non-hetero character nor even a nod to the fact that not everyone on the planet is hetero,” she writes.

In addition to the series’ seething heteronormativity, the practice of buying the books and related products results in profits for those institutions that want to bolster heterosexism. Profits from the series are funneled to the Mormon church through the practice of tithing – such funds are used in various ways, but one of them is to prevent same sex marriage laws from passing...

Remember those commercials after 9/11 that told you if you bought drugs you supplied terrorism? WHOOPS. For the record, I borrowed my sister's copy of Twilight, and my wife bought all of the other ones. So my conscience is clear. But the rest of you are going to hell. I'm going too, but for other reasons.

Wilson cites an incident in Wales in which—LOLOLOLOL—a poster featuring the wolfpack was removed from a theater for being too “homoerotic.” She points out the particular irony of that fact, given that the Quileutes are openly homophobic in several scenes (the only instances of actual homophobia in the text so far). [Which is, I just realized, a nod to the fact that non-hetero characters exist! So that's a contradiction Wilson will make want to reckon with in the future.]

For example, in Breaking Dawn when Quil says to Jacob “I don’t notice girls anymore,” Jacob jokes ““Put that together with the tiara and makeup, and maybe Claire will have a different kind of competition to worry about.” Here, Jacob insinuates that Quil’s tiara-wearing antics might lead to some non-hetero ‘competition.’ Quil laughs in response, making kissing noises at Jacob and asking, “You available this Friday, Jacob?” Ah yes, homosexuality is SO FUNNY – especially in a book that presents heterosexuality as the ONLY option with a message that screams “Be hetero! Get married and have babies!”

In Breaking Dawn Leah also teases Jacob about his heartfelt goodbye to Quil, snickering “Thought you were going to make out with him.” Yeah, cuz it’s so homo-esque for a male to care about his guy friends. Leah might as well have said, “Hey, wolf boy, grow some hetero balls and put your focus where it should be – on the ladies!”

MAN, I am having some heteronormative urges toward Natlie Wilson right now. PREACH IT. And irony of ironies, Wilson claims that the Quileutes in reality have a pretty good record of accepting diverse kinds of love and belief, so it's a particularly choice choice for S. Meyer to push the Christian-like homophobia off of the Cullens and onto the brown people. Nicely done. And then Wilson keeps going. When Allen Ginsberg first read Howl, the story goes that Jack Kerouac sat on the edge of the stage shouting “GO, GO, GO, GO,” as he read. I get how he feels right now. Check this shit out:

I am wondering if the above poster would have been removed if it featured shirtless white men instead — if it depicted the Carlisle, Edward, Jasper, Emmett pack? (Who are of course not referred to as a pack – think about the racial implications of that!) I would venture a guess that the poster would be less likely to be accused of homoeroticism if those pictured were white – partly because hegemonic, normative masculinity is linked to whiteness, and partly because (due to a global system of racism) it’s easier (and more common) to discriminate against non-white men.

GOD DAMN. Of course, she ends by quoting Eve Sedgwick, who theorized that homoerotic themes are deeply buried in almost all works of literature. That's the kind of thing I was talking about the last time I wrote about Natalie Wilson and academic writing in general; I'm sure there ARE homoerotic themes buried in everything—along with themes of every other stripe. Bend and twist a work of literature enough and you can wring pretty much anything out of it (I had a professor at BU who had a knack for finding phallic imagery in everything, and when I took the final exam I was genuinely surprised there wasn't a question like “List the most prominent symbolic penises in four or more works of literature we examined this semester.” Surely a few of these references he saw were intentional, but at some point midway through the semester we reached critical mass, penis-wise. Sometimes a cigar is not a cigar, but sometimes a dude named Peter is just a dude named Peter. Remember that episode of 30 Rock where it turns out Kenneth sees the world as basically a musical number from Sesame Street and Tracy sees every other human with his own face? Sometimes I think my professor looked at our class and just saw row after row of giant penises watching him, taking diligent notes). And those lines of academic thinking (the grand theory of gay everything) are the ones that directly undercut the stuff Wilson does so well in these two posts: concrete examples with their implications laid bare and clear. Academic writing can do more than serve itself, but it too often does not do so.

All of that said, it's not as though I haven't claimed there were deeply hidden gay themes in Twilight before.

Thoughts?

20 comments:

Dear said...

I know this is not the main thing you want to discuss, but for what it's worth, I agree that the coming out of Dumbledore, post-the-mortem of both character and series, doesn't count for shit.

Here's an interesting piece about it: http://www.philosophypress.co.uk/?p=1780

rosanne said...

1) Actually, I was going to comment on the Dumbledore thing, too. I read some of the books. How was he NOT gay anymore than he WAS gay? I guess my point is are you saying he didn't seem gay?

and here's where I expose my hypocrisy...

2) It is interesting that in the movie version of Twilight, Eric totally seems like "the gay friend." So much so that I felt bad for Angela in the subsequent books (aren't Eric and Ben combined in the movies?) because her high school boyfriend was going to come out to her some day.

ZL said...

He seemed neither gay nor straight. There was nothing in the text to indicate it either way. So okay, leave it well enough alone. That JK Rowling SAID later, "oh, he was gay" seemed like it was designed to get a bunch of media attention and to get JK Rowling a bunch of back slaps from the gay community or something. It was just weird.

I'm not saying I wanted Albus to have a BF, but like, the sexual attractions of other characters are known. Harry likes Ginny. Snape used to like Harry's mom. So if the only gay character (I mean, Luna Lovegood will totes be bicurious someday but anyway)just has no apparent desire, like Morrisey or something, it just feels weird.

I would rather she have said nothing about it.

ZL said...

And Tom, on Twitter (@tdickinson), says this re: HP and gay themes, which is interesting:

"...it bugs me to think that the venn diagram of "homosexual love" and "destructive love" in HP is a circle

"I mean, given the series' thematic insistence that love is an all-conquering good. And also its stance against bigotry"

Anonymous said...

Sounds like her upcoming book will be one that I actually might buy ;)

[OT](Wilson of course! I borrowed all the twilight books from the library... -> I'm not going to hell because of twilight.. that wouldn't be rad enough.. If you're going to hell you should go for a cool reason... ;))[/OT]

My prejudices skyrocketed when I learnt that Stephenie Meyer belongs to the LDS church, it just seemed to explain so much: her female characters, her pro life stand and yes, it ultimately suggests that she is homophobic...
But while reading twilight (and that happened quite some time ago) it didn't occur to me that it might be homophobic, but that is probably why the professors at our university keep preaching to REREAD our texts and novels and books. The first time reading it you're just too absorbed in the images that are going on in your head.

Where was I going with this? Oh, yes. Academic Writing at its best aims to inform other (academic) readers and not to voice an opinion and present it as the only truth. So,I think - as Wilson pointed out on her blog - that if you want to argue that Twilight is homophobic, simply because it does not mention gays, gives too little evidence for a strong case of homophobia in twilight.

Does simply not mentioning gays or blacks mean that you are a homophobic racist?


(I don't say the two quotes that you gave above are not important but what if - in the very unlikely case - S. Meyer just wanted to appear cool and fresh and what not by being as homophobic as she might hear it from her three sons?)

Peace, fl4dd3rm0uz

Kim said...

I haven't read Wilson's blog yet, but I think Anonymous has a point. I don't think not mentioning gay characters or having gay characters in itself is problematic. You can have a book full of straight character without it seeming homophobic. However, given the heternormative, pro-natalist message that is the Twilight series, the complete lack of anything other than the perfect, hetero, WASP-y lifestyle is a huge issue.

Regarding the Dumbledore thing, interestingly, there were actually a few gay rights groups who were happy that he wasn't obviously gay. It was a way to show that, hey, guess what, gay people aren't any different than hetero people aside from who they love. Personally, I kind of figured he was in love with Grindelwald anyway, even before she came out saying that. Which, really, given how that turns out, brings up an a whole other set of issues.

ZL said...

Clearly you and Anon never went to CCD where the nuns drilled the concept of "sins of omission" into your head, I guess to make sure we didn't forget anything in confession?

But I think we agree, Kim, it's not necessarily damning but it's irritating. Like when there are no black people in movies. And there is a way to go too far too, right? In high school we used to joke about text books that went out of their way to depict EVERY POSSIBLE nationality and potential handicap. Like, "Oh sure, it makes total sense that an elderly black man and an Asian girl in a wheelchair would hang out together at the community pool."

And anon, I think there is a debate term for that gay/black thing you just busted out. Like Godwin's law, except not that one.

But like you say, Kim, when you couple the ceaseless straight whiteness of Twilight with the ceaseless religiosity, it's a pattern of either ignorance or something more malicious.

And as far as Dumbledore goes, you got the gay vibes on your own? How?

Kim said...

Yeah, I think are agreeing.

With Dumbledore, I'd have to get the books out to see exactly, but there was just something about the way she described their friendship and the intensity of it that seemed to hint at more to me. I had wondered if that was what she was going for or if I was just reading too much into it, but then she came out and said he was gay so I assumed she intended to have Dumbledore in love with him.

ZL said...

Hey, and it's not JUST the total absence of gay characters. Think about the whole rationale behind imprinting, which is first described as like a love spell, but later explained as a half biological half magic urge to reproduce. So only straight couples can experience the love spell, you know?

AND there's the above-discussed homophobia between Quil and Jacob, which, as is now noted in the above text, sort of contradicts Wilson's assertion that Twilight doesn't even acknowledge that gay people exist. Gay people are acknowledged: they are mocked.

Kim said...

Yeah, the imprinting argument really does parallel part of the religious right's argument against gay marriage, where the point of marriage is to produce children.

Stephanie_DAnn said...

Do you think Stephenie Meyer made the wolf pack make gay jokes just to make sure that we all understood that the guys who run around naked together aren't gay? It wouldn't be necessary because the main purpose of imprinting is to reproduce.

ZL said...

Oh god, Stephanie, you're probably right.

And the other thing about imprinting is, I'm reading chapter 23 right now, in which S. Meyer slowly starts to get us used to the idea of Jacob and Renesmee as a couple. So, it's really going to happen.

So this is a relationship S. Meyer is comfortable showing, is what I am saying, and doesn't seem to be comfortable showing a same sex relationship between consenting adults.

Emma said...

I could kinda tell Dumbledore and Grindlewald were more than friends. It says they spend all those hours together, and it's never mentioned that Dumbledore never had a girlfriend, so I wasn't that shocked when I found out.
But as Kim said, I think Rowling didn't want to make a big fuss of it- I mean you wouldn't strictly point out a person was straight, would you? So why make it different that he's gay?
Back to Twilight, I never really saw those jokes as anti-gay, but that's probably because at my school they're made all the time. And my friend who's a lesbian hears them, and doesn't really mind, which is good enough for me.

Kim said...

Just another random related thought because of another YA book I'm currently reading: I also find it troubling when the author goes out of their way to portray a gay character as stereotypically gay, which does happen frequently in YA lit. I'm sure it's just a misguided way of trying to be more diverse, but it doesn't sit well with me. It's like a character is either straight or freaking Jack from Will & Grace. Why can't there be a gay character who isn't a stereotype? I think that's why it doesn't bother me as much that Dumbledore wasn't overtly gay in the book.

ZL said...

Okay, as to the question about Do You Portray Other Characters As Straight, no, I guess you don't. And I don't really know that I have much more of an answer for you on that.

But we think all of the time about what kind of damage Twilight would due to a young girl, and I don't think it's crazy to suggest that damage would be compounded if she was gay or of an ethnicity other than white.

Vampires are the ideal, and vampires are white and straight. Uniformly. It wouldn't even help, really, if Mike Newton was gay, would it?

Kim said...

Doubtful. There really are so many potentially harmful messages in these books that fixing just one or two of the really can't make up for all the rest, especially since it's likely that SM would do it in such a way that it would be even more harmful. If she were to have included a gay character, it wouldn't be someone like Alice, much as we'd all prefer that. It would be someone like Mike Newton, who is continually mocked, or one of the evil vampires.

Anna (Anon) said...

Thanks Zac for introducing me to Godwin's law - it's introduced to my favourite list of internet laws now. (The top of which is Ugol's law ;))

Concerning Dumbledore - I started reading the Harry Potter books when I was at the exact age as Harry was -> 11. (yeah that involved sleepless nights waiting for owls ;))
Anyhow, a few years later my mom said she suspects that Snape is good and Dumbledore is gay... and that's basically how it turned out. And as a bonus plus point: I really do think Dumbledore makes "a good gay character".

And... you think there's no S&M in Twilight? So what the h*** is Bella doing? Talk about a psychologically dependent relationship ... that at least has the masochistic part in it. I'd say both, Bella and Edward, are major cardinal superlative masochists. The sadist then would be Veronica & her tribe.

btw.: on tumblr there still have to be some images where Ginny's and Bella's reactions to a break up are very nicely depicted. (Harry breaks up w/ Ginny to save her -> she kicks butt at the DA; Eddie breaks up with Bella -> comatose state for months) ... YES! Talk about harmful messages... you need a man or your IQ and life will immediately decay.

Jumped into my mind has very small coherence but just for fun:( Dunno if that saying actually exists in English but) in German there is a joke that goes along the lines of: A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

Peace, fl4dd3rm0uz ( bat in German with some numbers for letters )

Dear said...

Another problem with gayness in HP, and I think this goes to answer some of the above comments, is that Dumbledore is the ONLY out character in the series. And he may not even be out. But Rowling's declaration that he was gay, which declaration came after the series was over (and I agree, Zac, about the cynicism of that move), is the only explicit indication that anyone in the series isn't straight.

Maybe Dumbledore is a good depiction of a queer character, maybe his relationship with Grindelwald is a bad depiction of a gay relationship, etc., etc., but in any event, there's no contrast with other queer experiences. His is the only queer experience in the HP world, and THAT is fucked up in a series with hundreds of characters, dozens of whom are in monogamous relationships or express romantic desire.

Renee_Moody said...

This is a little disorganized but it will have to do:

Vampire novels have always been a mirror for the sexuality of the time. I wrote an essay last semester about Le Fanu's Carmilla and how it was all about the fear of lesbianism. In that time, marriage was not between a man and a woman but rather between two group of men, the woman was merely property to be exchanged. Then the fear was that if women didn't need men, the institution of marriage would crumble. It's the same today with the redefinition of marriage and creation of "civil union". It is not possible for something to be separate and at the same time equal. The marriage debates of today are a product of the water fountains of yesterday. Until everyone has to the right to drink from the same one, it will not be equal.

I hate to defend Meyer but the lack of gay characters is most likely a reflection on her culture more than it is on her personally. As Mormons strictly forbid homosexuality, she probably doesn't know anyone who will admit to being gay and therefore would have little reason to include a gay character in her novel. At the same time, any exposure she has to the concept of homosexuality would be in a judgmental frame of mind which here is represented by the jokes between Quil and Jacob. It is not atypical for teenage boys to joking refer to things as "gay" but the issue is that it is represented in the same way that domestic violence is, casually and with a lack of commentary.

I can’t speak about Dumbledore specifically as I’ve read a grand total of about 5 pages of Harry Potter and the... Something or Other. I do agree that if he is portray as “normal” when he is in fact gay, that is a step in the right direction. The portrayal of gay characters as flamboyant goes back to the need to differentiate between "them" and "us". If someone who is gay looks and acts just like "us", how are we to know that "they" are different? What is there to say that one of "us" couldn't become one of "them"?

I agree that many measures which were no doubt meant to be inclusive only serve to marginalize further. Surely having a section of Netflix labeled "Gay and Lesbian" seemed like a good idea at the time but when it's used for every single film with even one gay character, it seems more like a warning.

Somewhere in there my point was: requiring novels to have gay characters is a step backward. A better way move forward would be to stop labeling people in the first place.

Laina said...

I have a lot of the same feelings a views about this post as other people do. Do not get me wrong I am a gay activist I march whenever I can and for the love of God please give me a ballot to vote on the legalization of gay marriage. But my question is why does the other of a YA fiction book have any expectation to discuss gay rights or even homosexuality in their books let alone why are they expected to give money to the cause? Why in any way should we hold these authors accountable for their political opinions? Shouldn't we be reading the book for the storyline in front of us? Unless of course the books topic directly correlates to this.

Some one made a statement in regards to the fact that they believe S Meyers lack of homosexuality has a lot less to do with being a against it and a lot more to do with the fact that she wasn’t raised around openly gay people and therefore she wouldn’t think to add this into the storyline. I would also have to agree on that. We could just simply look at her as a sheltered author, she may not being bring up these big issues because she was never subjected to them. Isn't it true that the first thing we learn about writing is, "Write what you know" therefore should Meyers be condemned for not adding in these characters, or possibly praised that she did not make an d attempt to write about something that she would have no idea how write about. Yes she is more then likely homophobic because of her religion but I think in general we should be thanking her that she does not bring that overtly into the series.

I also never saw anything wrong with the topic being brought up Jacob and Quil. To me it sounded identical to how two teenage boys would react to the conversation. In fact in my mind it actually sounded a little tame. How many times did we walk past a group of guys in high school shouting at each other, "No man fuck you I'm not gay!" Is it right? No. Is it relatively normal? Yes.

A statement is said that, in the past books were mocked for having the other make sure to add in every culture and handicap and sexuality into one book. So that brings me to, how many gay people are enough? How many blacks, whites, heterosexuals, homosexuals? How many is enough without being too many? Not only that but how should they be acting, if overtly gay is wrong as well and they should be acting normal, then I agree with someone (as I believe this has been stated before) maybe it shouldn't be mentioned at all unless it directly impacts the storyline. For example JK could have had the concept in her mind that Dumbledore was gay from the start (which I am sure she did) but look at her writing even the smallest of details impact and effect the books everything can be traced back to a much earlier book, Dumbledore’s homosexuality had nothing to do with the story line and did not impact it at all therefore what was the point of JK pointing it out? In fact in my opinion if it was pointed out in the book more readers would have a problem with the fact that is was mentioned and subsequently meant nothing then the fact that he liked men.

I take Twilight with a grain of salt; having started to read the books from before they ever became huge I felt something off from the first one. I researched and after some time found out that Meyers was a Mormon from then on it all made sense and I guess I expected exactly what she gave us. A very crisp version of sex and life, much like Edwards wardrobe, Twilight depicts a teenagers life, but wearing a beige turtleneck and khakis.