Sunday, January 29, 2012

BLOGGING LOOKING FOR ALASKA, pt. 6: Vancouver! Vancouver!

Last time, I mean, not much happened. What do you want from me? This book is about feelings and shit. I’ve got the previous entries in the sidebar now, if you’re still playing catch up.

“110 Days Before”

Y’all are noting that we’re counting down to something, right? Sorry for not pointing that out before. But you got it right? You get it.

In the Old Man’s class, Miles half-listens to a lecture about the Buddhist notion of interconnectedness and half-allows his attention to wander out the window. He looks at the distant trees “clothing the hill” and sorta gets what Siddhartha was talking about. “I couldn’t see the trees for the forest,” he says. Oh. Sometimes I feel like this guy  is just setting up bowling pins to knock them down for no other reason than to show us he can. DO YOU WANT A MEDAL, MILES?

But the Old Man catches him zoning out and immediately boots him from class. Yeah, for some people their connection to Those Teachers is inextricably linked to the way Those Teachers brutally punished them. Fucking sadists, man. (My father is an English teacher--I had him in the 8th grade. The former students who talk the most frequently and fondly about him for years afterward are inevitably the ones he gives the most shit to. Usually because they’re fairly smart troublemakers who appreciate, in a way, being steered in the proper direction. As for me, I was the Good Kid who was so mortified to ever be disciplined that I still resent the teachers who dared do so over a decade ago. Different strokes!) And Miles is probably about to go have some meaningful bummer time but Alaska stands up, tells the Old Man that his policies are “bullshit,” and follows Miles out. Rock.

She tells Miles they’re going to look for four leaf clovers until class is over. MPDG, emphasis on the P. But while Alaska examines a clover patch, our narrator just examines her tits. Oh, and occasionally her “long, dirty fingernails.” I get that it’s supposed to be like another adorable fact about her, but how long and dirty are we talking?
And Alaska notes where Miles is looking, and doesn’t seem totally repulsed by his leering eyes (MPDG, emphasis on the SLUT). Class ends and The Colonel and Takumi show up and they all decide to go to “the smoking hole.” No, it’s not a gay bar, it’s a place where everyone goes to smoke. On page 41, Green describes the area, and I wrote something in the margins apparently indicating that this was a pretty good description of a natural setting. Now, I can’t figure out what I liked.* He just talks about trees. And then they smoke some cigarettes. 

(*But here's a great description of a place, from DFW's "Up, Simba.")

I keep wanting to say something more about the smoking, but I guess I just like how willfully transgressive it seems to be? There’s never a particular REASON for anyone to smoke--for Alaska it becomes indicative of her self-destructive impulses, but that symbolism doesn’t really extend to Chip and Miles (And Takumi doesn’t smoke. In a way that indicates his status as only like, a nominal member of the quickly-forming Alaska-Miles-Chip gang. His status is also indicated by the fact that he’s not written about very much!)--but it’s mentioned all the time. I’d like to think it’s less the nostalgia-tripping y’all have complained about in the past and more of a “fuck you” to prudish PTA types who freak out over the smoking or sex or swearing (or anti-Christian magic or whatever) being exposed to children instead of A. extending the benefit of the doubt to their own damned children and B. concerning themselves with more than the surface-level content of any given book or movie.

(I recently watched both the American and Swedish film adaptations of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Not only is the American version superior in terms of basic storytelling, it’s also superior in that it’s almost totally unflinching about smoking, nudity, and both consensual and non-consensual sex. Moreso than the Swedes, even. MORESO THAN THE SWEDES! That so rarely happens that you have to appreciate whenever it does. Whether you liked the movie or not, it did not give A SINGLE FUCK about upsetting people with delicate sensibilities (and that unflinching attitude just got the movie banned in India). And what is ironic is that a lot of those prudish, easily offended types we’re talking about just LOVE procedural shows like CSI and NCIS and Criminal Minds and however many dozens of others, which all give the impression of being transgressive, or are just transgressive in very strategic callow ways. Sorry, I hate procedural shows so much!)

Takumi starts talking about the girl who got expelled, and Alaska silences him with a pretty good one-liner. “You gotta stop stealing other people’s problems and get some of your own,” she says. BOOM. See how that is just a good line and not a clever inversion of a stock phrase that gives the illusion of depth through wordplay*? I like this one. But now I’m picturing Alaska as Tom Waits, sort of.

(*Not that I’m not guilty of the same shit, but whatever this is a BLOG.)   

And then she makes another pass at Miles, telling him he’s “adorable” and then quickly mentioning her boyfriend again. Almost as if she’s waiting for someone to give her verbal permission to cheat. Go ahead, Alaska! And then Takumi raps. Go away, Takumi!

“Right here, by the river, you want me to kick it? / If you smoke was a Popsicle, I’d surely lick it / My rhymin’ is old school, sort of like the ancient Romans / The Colonel’s beats is sad like Arther Miller’s Willy Loman”

OK, as a teenager I did a lot of lame shit, including rapping. And yeah, there’s a mortifying realism to reading the wack rhymes that John Green lays down here (and props to him for including the slashes to indicate line breaks) but still, OY GEVALT. I read this part (and a future, extended rap battle that goes on much, much longer) while straining my neck away from the page, trying to get away from it, somehow. I love me some Death of a Salesman references, though. 

(I once wrote like ten pages of a sitcom about a family of Scientologists--L. Ron Hubbard comes back from the dead to visit his ex-girlfriend, finds out he fathered her first son and decides to move into the basement. Also they have a maid who is a ghost. And there was a running joke about everyone earnestly asking a Church employee named Bill Loman if he was related to Willy Loman from the play. Yeah, that sitcom would never have made it to air.)

And then Alaska reaches the apex of Manic Pixie Dreaminess. Only 44 pages in! That must be a record (Holy shit, we’re only 44 pages in? Don’t worry, we’ll speed up when we get to the middle of the book. There will not be any deep analysis of the pranks, I can tell you right now.)

Alaska finished her cigarette and flicked it into the river. 
“Why do you smoke so damn fast?” I asked.
She looked at me and smiled widely, and such a wide smile on her narrow face might have looked goofy were it not for the unimpeachably elegant green in her eyes. She smiled with all the delight of a kid on Christmas morning and said, “Y’all smoke to enjoy it. I smoke to die.”

I rest my manic, pixie case.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't notice the creepy old lady's nails until I read what you wrote about Alaska's long dirty nails and Alaska's statement on why she smokes is really heavy.
B.Caron

Unknown said...

Ugh, I hated when kids rapped at my school. Mostly because they were bad at it. One kid named Kyle did an entire rap about all the people that called him Kyle. His mom, sister, aunt etc.

Can Alaska get any more perfect as the author's idea of a perfect dream girl? I don't think so

ZL said...

Well Yomin, the expected cycle for an MPDG sorta goes like this:

1. Build the the girl up as perfect
2. Deconstruct that idea by showing her flaws (and this is the part where she breaks the protagonist's heart)
3. Show how the flaws were actually part of what made her perfect

However EVENTUALLY I will argue that JG doesn't really do enough of 2 or 3. Alaska doesn't have a lot of well-defined flaws in the first place and Miles/JG doesn't really put them into perspective in the second place.

And also our narrator's ultimate revelation about himself is not that he learns to be like, a better, less uptight person (which is the normal post MPDG lesson) but actually a much more abstract revelation--one that he'd be as likely to learn while sharing a bong with Alaska.

Hey will someone remind me that I wrote this comment in like three months?

FishHookCrossface said...

John has talked before about how he didn't like his portrayal of the MPDG in LFA after looking back on it, which was one of the motivations for his writing of Paper Towns (which has a kind of similar MPDG female lead but has much more obvious flaws and is deconstructed a lot more by the protagonist in a manner more like what you just described).

I actually think that's one of the biggest complaints I have about LFA too, that Alaska doesn't really do or have aanything to break that "perfect girl for me" image Miles has, he just kind of ends up dealing with his problems at the end without not really ever recognizing Alaska was anything more than an idea or a concept of perfectness to him and not...like...a person. To be fair to the book, I haven't read it in a couple of years and don't remember many of the finer details, but I do remember not liking it as much as John's later stuff because of stuff like that.

Kim said...

I think later some things come up that make it almost seem more like Miles wanted her to be his MPDG, but that wasn't really who she was supposed to be.

Also, the rapping, yikes. Not my favorite parts of the book. To me it sounds very I Am An Adult Author Writing A Smart Kids Rap.

ZL said...

WAIT, is John Green conscious the idea of MPDGs? And he wrote one (AND THEN ANOTHER?!?) anyway? I can't decide if that is awesome or terrible.

Xocolatl. said...

I hate MPDGs in all contexts and this is why. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind gets a pass, but seriously.

The story is boring from the guys pov, and would be infinitely more boring from the girls pov; in fact the reason its boring from the guys's pov is BECAUSE it lacks a direction and flow from the girl's. Maybe that doesnt make sense but whatever, can't wait for Miles to go through his self-serving revelations n stuff.

FishHookCrossface said...

I think he became conscious of the idea of the MPDG after LFA was published, and Paper Towns is in some ways a response to that. He wrote a blog about it, if you're so inclined.

http://johngreenbooks.com/on-the-destruction-of-manic-pixie-dream-girls/

Stephanie D'Ann said...

I had never heard of a MPDG when I read this book. I could just tell that something bothered me about it. Alaska's comments like saying she smokes to die bothered me because I felt like Alaska was a hero, a role model. Or maybe she was the cautionary tale. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to think about her. And at the end of the book it doesn't even matter what we think about her, because she's not a person. She's a force to drive plot. She's an accessory to someone else's life.