Wednesday, April 21, 2010

We Need To Talk About The Fact That One Of The Songs On The New Moon Soundtrack Is In The Wrong Movie

So I've been listening to the New Moon Soundtrack. Do you ever get the feeling that you've just written the first line of your obituary? That just happened to me.

So yeah New Moon: The Soundtrack. One thing I forgot to mention when I reviewed Twilight is the fact that the closing credits are the best part of the movie-- and not in like a "thank god it's over" kind of way either-- it's just a particularly compelling sequence in a generally compelling movie (in which the love-watching and hate-watching elements are particular difficult to separate, but still). A big part of that is the Radiohead song "15 Step," which sounds perversely perfect for the close of the film, and I was unapologetically thrilled by that whole little sequence. It felt like the material was rising to the quality of the music, and its placement at the end of the film was a rising tide that lifted most of the rest of the boats (the editing boat sank and the makeup boat caught fire) and made me like the movie better overall.

That said, the Twilight Soundtrack is AWFUL. Linkin Park? No. Muse? No. Collective Soul? Ugh. Paramore? Kill me. Robert Pattinson? I'm dead already, just stop it.

If you've heard that last one (you have) it's really like, Robert Pattinson doing his Robert Johnson impersonation or something. Who knew this young British white guy could sing like an old black man? His contributions are actually a few of the strongest tracks! That is how bad this album is! The strongest track is the Iron & Wine one, which I hear was Kristen Stewart's suggestion. Who told me that? Was it one of you? Or was it the seven part documentary I watched on the Twilight DVD? Did I just type that out loud?

But, uh, anyway, where I was going with this is, the New Moon soundtrack has an impressive pedigree. St. Vincent & Bon Iver? Yes. Grizzly Bear? Fuck yes. Thom Yorke? Lykke Li? What the hell is happening?! And as a whole, the album is very good! I have listened to it a lot! I've listened to that Anya Marina song more than I'd like to admit! Muse is still around, but whatever, that is what the skip button is for! I'll let New Moon get away with one miss. It is the inverse of the Iron & Wine on the last one.

I have one small problem though, which is something I discussed with my brother and sister over Christmas, and have only remembered now. The Editors song on this album, called "No Sound But The Wind," is definitely about the wrong book/film adaptation. Can you guess which one? If you've read it or seen it, it should spring to mind immediately, because it is unquestionably what this song is about.



Wrong soundtrack, guys! What is going on with this?

7 comments:

Kim said...

There is a 7 part documentary on the Twilight DVD? How did I miss this?

I'll admit, I actually like the Twilight Soundtrack. I also liked the terribly campy baseball scene.

Renee_Moody said...

It's doubtful I've read/seen the book/movie you're talking about as this connection is not obvious to me.
I am surprised you didn't post Morgan's cover of that song. It's better than the original, in my opinion.

ZL said...

I can only pimp my brother so often. Plus I'm not super happy with that video. I was doing this thing where... I guess I thought it would be a good idea to film nothing? I don't know what was going on.

Kira said...

i think mr. kira took one large step closer to divorcing me the day i asked him to download the twilight soundtracks.

agreed with everything zac said.

the first soundtrack is almost entirely garbage. that fucking perry farrell song? sweet baby jesus. i do have some softness for that vampire baseball scene muse song, because i am soft in the head now. otherwise total ear garbage and that song is still ear garbage, but it's garbage whose stink i have grown to love a little bit.

but the new moon soundtrack was darn near flawless! man, that bon iver/st. vincent song gives me the chills! so good!

(see where i said i felt the same way zac did and they re-said everything he said anyway? good times.)

ZL said...

Second Kira on that Bon Iver/St. Vincent combo. CHILLS. It's a little weird that the dude has a higher voice than Annie Clark, but whatever. I usually am not a fan of falsetto, except when Thom Yorke does it, but I also make an exception for Bon Iver because Skinny Love.

This week a lot of sketches from when I was in high school are being reposted to the internet, and they were there already, but now a lot of people are seeing them, and I am getting accused a lot of being very emo in high school (I probably was. I regularly wore vests) and also of once being very sickly skinny. Both of those things are true, but I'm having trouble being at all embarrassed by it. I kind of feel like I should be embarrassed, but I am not for some reason. I forget where I was going with this.

Renee_Moody said...

Did you listen to the DVD commentary? If so, that's probably where you heard about Kristen Stewart's song suggestion. If you didn't, be glad. Hardwicke's entire vocabulary centers around the words/phrases: cool, like and ya know.

ZL said...

I actually think I just read like, the IMDb trivia, which obviously gets most of its stuff from DVD commentaries anyway. The brief, fleeting glimpses I got of Hardwicke and her manner of speaking (Basically an Amy Sedaris character who doesn't exist yet) kept me from daring to listen to the commentary.