Thursday, August 4, 2011

BLOGGING THE HUNGER GAMES, pt. 2: Dear Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts

Last time we met Katniss Everdeen, big sister of the year and budding domestic terrorist (probably). She and her family attended The Reaping, which is draft-day for a government-sponsored Battle Royale called The Hunger Games. Surprise, surprise, Katniss's little sister Prim got selected for the fight.

I'm very much aware of the race-bending/whitewashing controversy around the casting of The Hunger Games. Lots of readers were happy that Katniss Everdeen was, for once, a protagonist not described as a pretty white girl. But of course, when it came time for the movie adaptation they cast a pretty white girl. Shit. So the post-racial book fell victim to our present-racial times, right? Well, wait a second.

We heard in chapter one that even though Katniss and Gale are post-ethnic hybrids, Prim and Katniss's mother are blond-haired, blue-eyed Aryans. And now poor little pure, white Prim is in danger, and hardened, tough nonwhite Katniss has to go and save her. The story was, when the casting announcements were made, that the racial politics in America had been dealt another blow. Maybe we weren't as far along as we thought.

Chapter 2

Katniss is too stunned to do much of anything for a few seconds, but as her sister steps toward the stage she snaps out of it and screams: “I volunteer!” What? Very quickly she explains to us that people can volunteer if they want to go in another's place. Oh, well that's good! Prim wraps herself around her older sister and begs her not to go, and Katniss has to fight the urge to cry while she shakes the little bitch off. She notes that if people see her crying on the news, she'll be marked as an easy target; there's no crying in Hunger Games ball. Katniss's sudden presence causes some procedural confusion on the stage—I guess people don't volunteer all that much—but she is quickly introduced to the crowd as their female “tribute.” And then something interesting happens.

To the everlasting credit of the people of District 12, not one person claps...I stand there unmoving while they take part in the boldest form of dissent they can manage. Silence.

Instead, nearly every person in the crowd “touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out” to Katniss. (Did you try to imitate the gesture? It's OK, I did too. Were you not really sure which fingers were your THREE middle ones? It's OK, I wasn't either.) She says it's an antiquated gesture meaning “thanks,” “admiration” and “good-bye to someone you love.” Now, we barely know Katniss, and this is a gesture we are JUST hearing about now. That this image is still powerful, moving even, is sort of unusual. I don't know why I care yet, but I care already!

And then Haymitch, the former District 12 champion, stumbles drunkenly in front of the camera and falls off the stage like Ryan Adams. Ah, well.

The bulk of this chapter is actually an extremely detailed flashback, because the name of the male tribute is called and it's a dude named Peeta Mellark, a “stocky” blonde guy with alarmed blue eyes. Let me guess, is he Polish? (I can make Pollack jokes because my old roommate Paul was Polish and here's a true story: it literally took four of him to change a lightbulb once.) Anyway, it turns out he and Katniss have a history. No, not like that, perverts. Our narrator recalls the few months after her father's death in which her family began to starve—we find out that rather than get a job to provide for her family, Mother Everdeen just retreated inside herself (and not in a sexy way). Starvation happens all the time in her district, Katniss says, but officials always list something else as the cause of death like “exposure.” Because they don't want it to look like their citizens are starving? Um, why is it called THE HUNGER GAMES then? Wouldn't THE PLENTIFUL MILK AND HONEY DEATH MATCH be a better title?

Anyway with her mom hidden away at home in her blanket-fort of sorrow, eleven-year-old Katniss was forced to act. But there's only so much an eleven-year-old can do to run a household without the annual rations provided by Hunger Games eligibility—Katniss & Prim's Homemade Lemonade only brings in a couple of nickels unless it's a really hot day, you know? So our heroine goes wandering through the negro streets at dawn with her purgatoried torso looking for an angry fix when she stumbles into the Mellark family backyard, transfixed by the smell of bread. Mr. Mellark is a baker, and Mrs. Mellark is, as it turns out, a big ol' bitch. She tries to chase Katniss away and then goes back into the house to beat her son for burning two loaves of bread. Peeta comes outside then and casually tosses the burned loaves to poor, starving Katniss.

Peeta's so discrete about the whole action that we can't tell how premeditated it was—did he burn the bread on purpose so he could give it to her? The next day, at school, Katniss sees him (with a big bruise on his face) staring at her. She looks down at her feet to avoid him and sees the first dandelion of the season, which gives her hope that she'll be able to keep her family alive. It's a heavily symbolic moment for our narrator (I mean she pretty much says “it's a pretty important motif in my story—I mean life”) and ever since, springtime and survival and Peeta and bread and pita bread are all associated in her brain. Back in the present, Katniss is pissed because she never even thanked Peeta for the whole thing and now she has to kill him. Ain't that always the way?

Stray Notes & Questions
  • I'm starting to come around to the present tense thing. The overwhelming consensus last time was that doing so creates a sense of urgency. Okay, fine, but Edgar Allan Poe wrote “The Masque Of The Red Death” in past-tense and still managed, you know? Past-tense is (or was) the English-Lit, Western-Civ standard. It's also a little bit harder to do—part of me feels like writing fiction in the present tense is setting the cognitive bar a little low for your readers. Am I being a tense snob?
  • This is hard to work into a re-cap, but there's a recurring jokes about odds that I'm enjoying so far. Effie Trinket, one of the HG officials, has a little catch-phrase: “May the odds be ever in your favor.” The first time we hear it, Katniss and Gale are mocking it while they hunt. Katniss references it a few more times before Effie Trinket actually says it herself. And several times in this chapter, Katniss will comfort herself with the probability that she won't have to do something only to recall that the odds are rarely, if ever, in her favor. I see what you are doing there, Katniss.

9 comments:

Kim said...

I always found present tense harder to write than past. I don't know, I guess because past tense is what I'm so used to seeing? I'll still argue on the side of present tense in this one, though. Past tense would imply that she's looking back on events from a safe distance and everything will be fine. Present tense implies that you shouldn't know what to expect even if you think you do. Poe totally experimented plenty in his work, if we're going to draw that comparison. Hey, if I'm remembering right, even part of The Masque of the Red Death is in present tense. I suppose I just like when authors can play around with what they're "supposed" to be doing according to lit standards. Well, as long as they can pull it off, anyway.

One of the great little things about this book is that, despite everything that happens, Katniss does have this dry weird little humor about her. Collins is actually pretty good at throw away lines that can be read as funny if you catch it. She's pretty great at throw away lines that are more horrifying if you catch it, too.

I'm not totally sure how I feel about the race thing, for the book or the movie. I'm glad you're bringing it up, though, so people can discuss it and I can decide.

maggie the cat. said...

(You guys, this is Kira. I have no idea why I have the name Maggie the Cat attached to this email account. Past Kira - always a mystery to me!)

As a writer who constantly struggles with being too detailed, present tense is like a huge challenge for me. So much so that I haven't tried it in years and years. Hmmm. Since so much time has passed, maybe I am amazing at it now!

Zac, I do feel like you might be being an eensy-weensy bit snobby. I understand your bias, and feeling like using present tense skews dumb, but I think that's okay.

The point that someone made about the immediacy and lack of perspective of teenagers is a really good one. When you're 14, every minute of your life a much bigger fraction of a not very large whole. The idea of just waiting shit out until they pass - not a thing you can understand. You don't have any proof that shit will work itself out. Having the object of your affection ignore you feels devastating, even though you probably will barely remember their face in ten years. You don't have the option of living in the moment or not. All you know about is the moment, which is why teenagers are idiots and make terrible decisions all the time.

So using present tense in a book for young adults totally makes sense. It makes you feel that you are with her AS this stuff is happening, and this is some pretty intense stuff Katniss is dealing with, and the urgency of the writing echoes the urgency of youth.

Unknown said...

Concerning the good looking white girl being cast as our non-racial protagonist I honestly have to say that even though Katniss and Gale are described I didn't really pigeon hold them to that. I actually pictured Katniss as my little sister for whatever reason.

I read the book Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and in it there is a character named Hunter who is described way different than how her character looks in the TV movie/series. I didn't really mind that the actress looked different from how I pictured her from the book because it wasn't that big of a deal.

What did you think of them casting Woody Harrelson as Haymitch? I was kind of like wtf.

I briefly considered giving Katniss the three fingered salute but I didn't want to be looked at as crazy on the plane.

dolanchap said...

I gotta say, I'm so happy you're blogging this series, it is the bomb shit.

On topic- I think the present tense really works here. Usually I find it offputting and a little confusing, but here, I dunno, the narration just works with it. Also, Katniss is in the moment that we are reading too, so it gives everything this nice little urgency, and it doesn't seem forced or contrived or anything, because these aren't her memories of what happened, this is what she is actually seeing/ experiencing. It's kind of a nice change, I think.

Kris said...

When I started reading this series I was thrown off by the present tense at first. It ended up working, though. I felt like I was living the Hunger Games along with Katniss.

As to the casting, when Katniss was picked, there was an outcry about how she wasn't supposed to be pretty. I think that's stupid, because Katniss is the one who describes her appearance. She doesn't think she's pretty. As to how other people see her, you'll find out later.

Stephanie D'Ann said...

I think you are doing a perfect job of making jokes, but not detracting from the sadness. I love the pita bread joke. It made me laugh really hard and wonder why I didn't come up with it myself. The 3 finger salute sounds similar to the way to say thank you in sign language. I think they do that because people have to come up with ways to say secret messages when big brother is watching.

I think Peeta burned the bread on purpose. He knew his mother would beat him for it, but he burned it to help Katniss. The reason I think he made the sacrifice is because it's much more interesting that way. It helps complicate the situation even more that Katniss will be thrown into a ring with 11 others and only 1 can survive, but 1 of those people has already saved Katniss and she feels like she owes him.

Katniss's relationship with her mother has made me think about people with depression especially parents. You know it's not their fault that they aren't there for you, but knowing doesn't make it hurt less, at least not right away.

Suzette Smith said...

She's too old. Stop trying to make it work in your imagination. Too old and she's going to have to starve herself and everyone's going to have a cow.

This made me want to snack like crazy. The way Collins describes food is great. It's the opposite of Bella who hated food and never even thought about it. Which I guess was later important to her lack of vampire bloodlust.

Stephanie D'Ann said...

I pictured Katniss as a tomboy who doesn't wear makeup, but not ugly. Like the girl in the movie that is homely until she takes off her glasses and then she's hot. I think they should have picked someone darker complected. I'm kinda picturing that girl from True Grit when I read it.

Frankie Lynn said...

i always found it weird that katniss was dark skinned with black hair while her sister was a pale blond. i'm sure it can happen and does happen but wouldn't prim's skin or hair be a little darker since her dad has the stronger genes? idk i'm probably wrong but i was okay with movie casting jennifer lawrence and liam hemsworth thought it worked well.